Today I want to share with you one of my favorite ‘fancy’ breakfasts. I often make this when family is staying over or when I’m in a holiday mood. It’s a recipe of my own creation: so many recipes of this type are just jam-packed with sugar, so I decided to experiment until I found something less sugary that would work. (This recipe has about as much added sugar per serving as a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios.) Everybody loves it! It’s buttery, creamy, and full of fruit – add a dollop of whipped cream and you have a hot, decadent breakfast that has at least some redeeming nutritional value.
This makes about ten servings, but look out – people are likely to want more than one!
- 4 1/2 oats
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 c milk
- 3/4 c melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 c frozen blueberries, thawed
- spices, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Butter or grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- In large bowl, combine all dry ingredients except spices.
- Add wet ingredients (minus berries) and stir together.
- Fold in berries and add spices to taste. I like to add cinnamon and a few dashes of nutmeg with my blueberries.
- Bake 45-60 minutes until the edges turn golden brown.
This recipe works beautifully with many different kinds of fruit. I’ve personally tried it with apples, peaches, “mixed berries” and mulberries. Fresh or thawed, it works just fine – just add whatever spices or flavoring you prefer with each fruit. It’s so good!!!
You know you want some.