(I think it’s a holiday worth adopting.) We spent the morning at the zoo with the ragtag band that made me a mother.
Boy, it was hot. It’s hard to believe that one year ago today, we were here:
It is just so far away. I miss a lot of things about Japan, and the fact that I don’t think we ever hit 90 degrees there is definitely one of them. (Seriously, I think I sunburned my face despite wearing a sunhat with a brim that is bigger around than a pizza pan.)
Oh, well. Want to do something for Children’s Day? Why not…
- Make your own origami carp kite
- Print out koi bookmarks or stationary
- Print, color, and assemble a paper koinobori (carp kite)
- Play some otedama
- Sew a carp kite
- Read some Japanese folk tales (my mother used to read us the Tongue-Cut Sparrow and Urashima Taro)
- Color some pages (One, two, three, four, five)
I hope you enjoy your day!