Not much yarny to report. I did try some new recipes, though. Good stuff!
(I’m never buying chocolate cake mix again)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In an ungreased 9 x 13 pan (ungreased, I promise), stir together all dry ingredients. Be sure to break up lumps and clumps in this step.
3. Add the liquids and stir just until blended.
4. Bake for 25 minutes.
5. Frost! Be careful, as cake is extremely moist. Mmmm.
(This one is my own concoction! Very good.)
8 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. block Velveeta
3 jalapeño peppers
salsa1. Grill jalapeños (you could probably sauté them if you aren’t doing a barbeque); chop finely. (This way no one gets a mouthful of too much jalapeño!)
2. Chop velveeta and cream cheese into cubes, place in microwave-save bowl (About 1 qt sized?).
3. Microwave for 30 seconds to one minute at a time, stirring between each, until the cheeses begin to melt.
4. Add peppers.
5. Add about 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa. Stir together, heat again.
6. Add a little bit of milk. This part is subjective: you need to add enough milk to make the mixture smooth but not runny or thin. Stir.
7. When mixture is smooth and hot, serve with chips, or whatever!
Greg had some of the dip on a burger instead of cheese (I tried it. It’s very, very good). It’s good and spicy without being painful. The cake got a thumbs-up from everyone who tried it, too. When I had the first piece I said, “Wow. I’m never buying chocolate cake mix again.”
Greg said, “I’m gonna want to have a piece before we start saying crazy things like that.”
Needless to say, I don’t think I’ll be needing to buy chocolate cake mixes again. Here you go, mom. You already make your own frosting, finally a cake that’s as easy as a mix, without one! I don’t make cakes that often, but I’m pretty enthused about it. The place I got the recipe from said it has also been called a ‘Depression Cake,’ because it’s made without eggs, or milk, or butter. It’s pretty cool, and it tastes really awesome. No one around here wants to hear over and over about how awesome the recipe is, though. Sigh.