…in lieu of family, friends, and passersby? You could say that. Probably accurate enough that it’s a good thing I’m crocheting, rather than knitting. Only one implement, and one with a rounded tip. Although, anyone who assumes they’re safe from a stabbing on that basis might be worried to learn that I’m currently working with a D. Haha.
Which, as you may be able to tell, is a rectangle of double crochet, about half to one-third the size of a baby afghan. Hardly exciting, but it did keep the hands busy. I have to say, I didn’t really enjoy working with this yarn. I don’t think it’s attractive in the skein, I don’t think it works up attractively – the shiny white ply has a tendency to get pulled out and reminds me a bit of dental floss, for another thing – but woohoo, another large skein of low-end yarn plumping up my stash, used in a practical fashion!
I was about to write off the yarn completely as just yucky – but I didn’t, and I will tell you why. The closer I got to the end of the skein, the more breakage there was. (Seriously, Emily, what did you do to that thing?) Eventually they were coming so close together that I decided to ball it up and see if I had a good-sized piece left to work with, or if I should call it quits. Turns out, I did have a good-sized little ball left (along with a nice little pile of tufty scraps) but instead of adding it to the afghan I decided to make another baby hat. I should probably mention here that with the little balls of yellow and white left over from the star afghan, I made an extremely cute ribbed baby hat, with a pompom on top. It was my first time pompoming something and it was so fun and so cute that I was antsy to try it again. (Now I know the real reason that some people get the pompom sickness and stick them on everything. If you’ve never made one, beware – they are FUN!) The hat was mindlessly easy, too – just a rectangle of single crochet worked through back loops, sewn together and gathered at the top. Since I didn’t have quite enough yarn for it, I eliminated the cuffed edging on the second one. I have to say, the yarn looked better worked up in sc on an F than it had in dc on an H, but it was still not scoring points. Then I got to the pompom. Here’s a shot of the two hats together: the Soft Baby looked beautiful, whereas the Coordinates looks…cheap? But look at the pompom.
That pompom is unbelieveably fluffy, puffy, and fuzzy. Look at it! Compared to the Soft Baby pompom it looks like cotton candy. There are actually strands of white Soft Baby in the Coordinates pompom as filler, so we aren’t even getting the full effect. Here’s the moral of the story, I suppose: if you have a bothersome skein of Coordinates sitting around, don’t just work it up and suffer. Find a project where the amazing fuzziness of its cut ends will shine and leave you amazed – latch hook, perhaps, or as fur on a stuffed animal. Of course, you could always make a million pompoms. They will be soft and poofy.
Oh, and I’ve put up the pattern for the Gapless Star Applique I used on the Starry Night afghan. Enjoy!